Teams from up to 9 regions will compete at the NL Games. Regions are geographically defined as follows (regional team color in brackets):
- St. John’s/North (Red) - St. John’s and north to Cape St. Francis, Bell Island, Torbay, Portugal Cove-St. Philips and Petty Harbour-Maddox Cove.
- Mount Pearl/South (Indigo Blue) - Mount Pearl, Paradise, and all communities on the Southern Shore from Bay Bulls to Trepassey inclusive.
- Avalon (Ash Grey) - generally, all communities on the Avalon Peninsula and Isthmus of Avalon which are not included in the St. John’s/North and Mount Pearl/South regions, up to but excluding Arnold’s Cove. This includes Conception Bay South to Holyrood; the Conception Bay north shore (Conception Harbour to Grates Cove); the Trinity shore (Old Perlican to Blaketown) and up but excluding Arnold’s Cove; the areas surrounding Long Harbour, Whitbourne, and Placentia; the Cape Shore and St. Mary’s Bay up to but excluding Trepassey.
- Eastern (Sand) - northwest of and including Arnold’s Cove, including the Bonavista Peninsula, the Burin Peninsula west to Pool’s Cove inclusive; Clarenville and northeast to Gambo but not including Gambo.
- Central (Maroon) - Gambo and west to Hampden, north to Notre Dame Bay and south to the south coast. This includes Bonavista North (Hare Bay, Wesleyville, Musgrave Harbour, Gander Bay); Gander; Fogo Island; Twillingate, Lewisporte; Botwood; Bishop’s Falls; Grand Falls - Windsor south to Harbour Breton; west of Harbour Breton to include François; east of Harbour Breton to (but exclusive of) Pool’s Cove; Springdale and the Baie Verte Peninsula south to Hampden.
- Western (Royal Blue) - west of Hampden, including the Northern Peninsula, and all communities west of François.
- Labrador (Forest Green) - all parts of Labrador.
- Host Region (White) - shall be defined on a Games-by-Games basis by the Recreation and Sport Division. For the 2012 Summer Games it is Carbonear – Harbour Grace.
- St.Pierre & Miquelon